The Wyze Robot Vacuum with LiDAR Mapping Technology
Yes, why not. Wyze Labs continues to grow its presence in the smart home smart appliance/smart device market. Introducing a new Robot Vacuum from Wyze. The Wyze Robot Vacuum has most of the features that you would expect current robot vacuums to have including, LiDAR, room mapping, path planning, virtual walls, area selection, and scheduling. This means that the Wyze App is going to expand!
Wyze Robot Vacuum Features
LiDAR Room Mapping
First thing let’s talk about the room mapping with LiDAR. Many of the big tech companies are beginning to consider LiDAR in the home to map out what’s going on. However, most robots use LiDAR primarily to sense what’s happening around them. The Wyze Robot vacuum uses LiDAR to create a room map or area map of your living spaces. The Wyze Robot Vacuum consists of light sensors to measure up to 26 feet in range, scanning at 6 rotations per second.
Once Wyze Robot Vacuum has mapped out your living space, it will create Path Planning to properly and efficiently clean your floors and carpets instead of the random pattern that is conducted by the older robot vacuum cleaners. The Wyze Robot Vacuum is built with an A7 chip and Mali 400 GPU. This processing power helps the Wyze Robot Vacuum cleaner section off your rooms and find the most efficient path to clean your living space. You can also create virtual walls to help your Wyze Robot Vacuum to clean only certain areas.
Moving on, Wyze talks about the 7 types of sensors located within the Wyze Robot Vacuum:
- 3x induction sensors: Wyze Robot Vacuum’s homing beacon to get back to the charging station.
- 1x LiDAR sensor: Scatter-array of lasers to measure and scan your living space.
- 2x speed sensors: determines Wyze Robot Vacuum’s location and speed.
- 4x cliff sensors: Oh ya, it needs to know where the stairs are!
- 2x Collision sensors: collision detection helps re-map and correct the LiDAR map in the home.
- 1x Gyroscope: Like any moving piece of equipment, you need to have a sensor that can determine tilt, pitch, and roll so the Wyze Robot Vacuum can change directions.
- 1x Recharging sensor: Works with the induction sensors to find its home, the recharging station.
The Wyze App will help map out your home, so you can select which space in the home needs to be cleaned, and at what time. You can use the Wyze App to create a cleaning schedule, otherwise, clean on command. You can also use the Wyze App to follow your Wyze Robot Vacuum throughout the house.
Virtual Walls and Restricted Areas
Using the Wyze App’s map of your home. You can create virtual walls or boundaries to prevent or keep the Wyze Robot Vacuum from entering during cleaning cycles.
Wyze Robot Vacuum Design
- Suction: 2100 Pascals
- Battery: Three hours to charge from 0% to 100%. Takes 2 hours to use up a full charge.
- Weight: 7.2 lbs
- Dimensions: Length 13.8 inches, Depth 13.8 inches, 3.7 inches in Height.
- WiFi: Only runs on 2.4 GHz bands.
- Warranty: 1-year.
- Price: Currently on pre-order for $199 (limited time). The regular price is $249.
Wyze is offering reward options for backers or people who choose to buy in the pre-order stage. If Wyze receives 20,000 backers, those customers will also get the Wyze Cam v3.
Wyze Robot Vacuum
Wyze has come out with the Wyze Robot Vacuum for a very competitive price. Wyze has turned some heads concerning its marketing prowess. The Wyze Robot vacuum has technology that competes with most robot vacuums in the market, with a price that could be considered low for a room-mapping, area-selection robot vacuum. It will be interesting how the Wyze Robot Vacuum compares to the rest of the competition. The Wyze Robot Vacuum will be available in January 2020.
Image Source: Wyze