Suppose your Samsung SmartThings Motion Sensor is not working or responding to the motion – in that case, it’s most likely that the batteries are dying or dead.
Don’t be so quick to throw out the SmartThings Motion Sensor as you can still salvage it. Also, it’s certainly one of the best smart motion sensors for your home! All you need is a battery replacement and the motion sensor is in full swing again.
In this article, we’re going to show you how to replace the batteries of your Samsung SmartThings Motion Sensor. Keep reading!
Other than the battery issue, the SmartThings Motion Sensor can last for a long time as long as it’s well-maintained.
For a start, watch the video!
How to Replace your SmartThings Motion Sensor Battery
- The first thing we’re going to do is turn the SmartThings Motions Sensor over and open it.
- You will notice at the top of the back that there is an ‘Open’ marking. Slide this in the direction of the triangle arrow.
- Put your thumbs on each side and slide it open. The SmartThings Motion Sensor battery may come out with a magnet backing.
- You will find a CR2 3V Lithium-Ion Battery. You will need to source another one from your local hardware store, electronics store, or the links below. The CR2 3V Lithium-Ion Battery is usually found in cameras, GPS monitors, and other motion sensors. These batteries can easily be confused with CR123 batteries, which are slightly bigger than CR2.
- Replace the battery and then put the cover back on, noticing the tabs and the holes. It should only slide in one way.
What kind of battery does the motion sensor use?
A typical motion sensor uses a CR123A 3-volt battery which can be purchased through your local hardware or retailer.
Other motion sensors also take the following batteries:
|Type of Battery||Battery Life|
|AAA batteries||2 to 5 years|
|AA batteries||2 to 5 years|
Bear in mind that some units may require 2 batteries. That said, it is best to check the manual to find out exactly what kind of batteries you’re going to need.
How long does batteries in motion sensor last?
The motion sensor batteries could last up to 5 years and the newest models even have a longer life span which is about 7 years.
As a general rule, you should replace batteries when they reached the 5-year mark since it was installed in the system.
In addition, you should replace your battery when the low battery warning comes on for no reason or when the battery alarm is beeping – it simply means that power is low and you need a battery replacement as soon as possible.
How much does it cost to replace a battery sensor?
The cost of replacing a battery for your motion sensor is somewhere around $50 to $150 or more depending on the application and type of sensor.
There are various choices for you online. You can also buy from a physical store. Make sure the battery is compatible with the unit to avoid purchasing the wrong one.
If you’re looking for a good recommendation for a motion sensor, try the Ring Motion Detector. I have written about it in this article. Check it out!
Replacing the motion sensor battery is quite easy. Be sure to find out what kind of battery is needed and check the manual for proper replacement procedures. Overall, you can do it on your own and it’s going to be an easy task.
Let us know how it goes for you!