We are going to walk through the setup of the IKEA SYMFONISK Bookshelf Speaker. I got a pair of IKEA SYMFONISK Bookshelf Speakers to try out for the home. I was really curious about how they sound.
Automate Your Life Tutorials is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com and other Amazon websites.
IKEA SYMFONISK Bookshelf Speaker is a Sonos
The first thing you should know about the IKEA Bookshelf Speaker is that it is built by Sonos. That’s right Sonos was asked to help IKEA build a Home Speaker that could use WiFi and be integrated into the IKEA Smart Home.
IKEA SYMFONISK Bookshelf Speaker Setup/Walkthrough
Before you get started you’ll need these things ready to go:
- Sonos Controller App from Google Play or Apple App Store. Install this on your Mobile Phone or Tablet.
- WiFi: You will need to ensure that you have at least 2.4 GHz WiFi
- Open the Sonos App on your Mobile Device or Tablet. If this is your first time using the Sonos App, it will ask to ‘Set Up a new Sonos system‘ or ‘Connect to an existing system‘
- If you have an existing Sonos system, you’re going to fast track right into the setup.
- If you are new to the Sonos system (like me), you’re going to select ‘Set up a new Sonos System‘
- If you need to reset the IKEA SYMFONISK you can go to our How to Factory Reset the IKEA SYMFONISK.
- Setting up a new Sonos System: You will be asked to allow Location Access – select Continue, then select either ‘Allow all the time’ or ‘Allow only while using the App’. I recommend selecting ‘Allow only while using the App’.
- Creating a Sonos Account: You will be requested to create a Sonos Account or Sign In. Enter your email and password, and accept the Sonos Privacy Statement on the bottom of the screen. Then press Continue. You will receive a verification email. Go to your email account and click the link from Sonos.
- Set up your Sonos products: You will see a screen with a WiFi logo. Press Continue. Then click ‘Set up products’.
- Plug in your IKEA SYMFONISK Bookshelf Speaker. After you plug-in, your device, then click Continue. The Sonos App will then take a few minutes to search for the Speaker.
- The Sonos App will then find the IKEA Symfonisk Bookshelf Speaker as: “SYMFONISK Bookshelf”.
- Get your Wifi credentials ready. Press ‘Setup this product’. The connection will then take another minute.
- Set up Sonos on your Wi-Fi: You will screen to set up your WiFi connection. Press Continue once you have your WiFi name and password.
- Pressing Buttons on the SYMFONISK Bookshelf: You will need to press the play and volume up (+) button simultaneously and listen for a Chime. The Sonos App will then start another connection. It will take a few minutes.
- SYMFONISK Bookshelf added: Choose a room name for your Bookshelf Speaker. I called my speaker ‘Basement’ because I’m using it in my Basement. You call it whatever you want. There are some preset choices for you. Once this is done, the connection will take a few more minutes.
- Sonos Update: The Sonos app will go through software updates for your IKEA SYMFONISK Bookshelf Speaker. Do not unplug the speaker during the Update. Press Continue after the updates are done.
- Adding a Music Service: This is where you select your Music Subscription. Select either Google Play Music, Spotify, 7digital, AccuRadio, or Amazon Music.
- I selected Google Play Music then pressed ‘Add to Sonos’
- You will be asked to enter your Google Play Music credentials or state that you are ‘New to Google Play Music.
- You will be given an authorization code to Add Google Play Music – Copy (hold down your finger over the code) the code before going to ‘Authorize’.
- You will be taken to the Google Accounts page on your browser. Enter your authorization code or use your finger over the window to Paste your code. Hit Next and Select the Google Account associated with your Google Play Music account.
- Google Play Music will want to access your Google Account. Select ‘Allow’. You should see a screen saying “Success! Device Connected.” Then Continue on your device.
- Go back to the Sonos App. You will then Enter the Name for your Google Play Account – Maybe this is where you say Google Play Music. If you had more than one subscription it would be difficult to tell Sonos to play music from Amazon vs. Google. So think about what you would like to name the music account.
- Press Back until you see the Google Play Music screen. You should see Music categories such as ‘It’s Saturday evening’, ‘Recommended’, ‘Music Library’, ‘Podcasts’, ‘Top Charts’, and ‘New Releases’.
You are done! Your IKEA SYMFONISK Bookshelf Speaker is ready to rock. Select the music and start the party!
Thanks for Reading. I hope that this has helped you save some time and money. Remember, Don’t Hate. Automate.
You can also watch the FAST Basic Setup of the IKEA SYMFONISK Bookshelf Speaker here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fz2Vu2Kqkc4
Got a pre-owned IKEA SYMFONISK Bookshelf Speaker. We’ll show you how to Factory Reset it here: https://automatelife.net/how-to-factory-reset-your-ikea-symfonisk-bookshelf-speaker/