The Aeotec TriSensor is a Z-Wave Light sensor, temperature sensor and motion sensor all in one.
You can set it up with SmartThings at your leisure, or you can just watch the video or read the instructions below.
Let’s get you started!
Aeotec TriSensor with SmartThings
You’ll need SmartThings App on your mobile device, and your web browser on your desktop to access the SmartThings Device Handler (Groovy IDE) code needed to add your Aeotec TriSensor.
- On your Mobile device, open the SmartThings App.
- Take out your Aeotec TriSensor (make sure the plastic battery tab is pulled).
- On the SmartThings App home page, Add Device. Press Scan Nearby. Otherwise, you can scan by device, and search for the TriSensor by Aeotec in the list of available devices.
- Press and hold the action button on the back of the Aeotec Trisensor. Aeotec says the light should turn white, then yellow and then flash green once paired. It just turned green for us.
- Open the link provided: https://github.com/krlaframboise/SmartThings/blob/master/devicetypes/krlaframboise/aeotec-trisensor.src/…
- Copy the full code from Line 1 (‘/**‘ down to the end (Line 808 ‘}‘)
- Then open a browser tab for account.smartthings.com.
- Log in and select ‘My Device Handlers‘.
- At the top right, click the [+ Create New Device Handler] button.
- Under the Create New Device Handler page, you will see a text window with three tabs: From Template, From Code, and From Example. Select the ‘From Code‘ tab.
- Now paste the selected code from Step #5 (Github code for TriSensor) into the text window. Then select Create at the bottom of the text window.
- At the top right, you should also see Save, Publish, IDE Settings, Device Type Settings and Simulator. Select Publish, then the drop-down “For Me.”
- You will go back to the My Devices page. Find your Aeotec TriSensor in the list. Click on the highlighted link.
- You will then be shown the Aeotec TriSensor settings. Under the Type Field (Z-Wave Motion/Temp/Light Sensor is the default), drop down and select the “Aeotec TriSensor.”
- Press Save.
- In the SmartThings App, go to your Aeotec TriSensor device settings in the top right hand (3 dots). Select Settings.
- You can now change the Aeotec TriSensor Settings.
- You can now change the Aeotec TriSensor Motion Retrigger time. The default is 15 seconds. Change the Motion Retrigger time to 1 second and press OK.
- You can then set the Aeotec TriSensor Motion Clear Time. Select 1 second, and press ok.
- The Motion Sensitivity: Unselect Most Sensitive, and press ok.
- Motion LED: Unselect Enabled, and press ok.
- Motion LED Color: Select the color of your choice when the Aeotec TriSensor senses motion.
- You can continue down the setting to change the Light and Temperature settings and accuracy.
You can now use the Aeotec TriSensor in your SmartThings ecosystem. It can be used to help track temperature and trigger your HVAC system to respond.
The Aeotec TriSensor could also provide light readings in your home to brighten up the room if your camera needs more light when it senses motion.
You can watch how Brian uses his Aeotec TriSensor here in this video!
The Aotec TriSensor is a 3-in-1 sensor that can be used to enhance your home’s alarm and security features. It’s pretty easy to set up once you figure out the smart custom handler device that you need. You can easily find the codes that you need online along with proper instructions on how to integrate it into the hub.
If you’re struggling with how to set up the Aotec TriSensor device, check out our articles and feel free to reach out to us for some troubleshooting tips!
I have documented my experience in installing the Aotec Garage Door Controller in this article. Check it out!
Online Security and Privacy
It’s never been more important to protect yourself online. Threats are everywhere, and scammers are getting smarter every day.
Whether you’re looking to improve your online security, enjoy more privacy, avoid others tracking you across the internet, or just want to use a streaming service from another country, a VPN can be very useful.
Here are some of the best options (affiliate links)