The Aeotec TriSensor is a Z-Wave Light sensor, temperature sensor and motion sensor all in one. You can set it up with SmartThings at your leisure, or you can just watch the video or read the instructions below. Let’s get you started.
Aeotec TriSensor with SmartThings
1 and;You’ll need SmartThings App on your mobile device, your webbrowser on your desktop to access the SmartThings Device Handler (Groovy IDE) code needed to add your Aeotec TriSensor.
- On your Mobile device, open the SmartThings App.
- Take out your Aeotec TriSensor (make sure plastic battery tab is pulled).
- On the SmartThings App home page, Add Device. Press Scan Nearby. Otherwise, you can scan by device, search for the TriSensor by Aeotec in the list of available devices.
- Press and hold the action button on the back of the Aeotec Trisensor. Aeotec says the light should turn white, then yellow and then flash green once paired. It just turned green for us.
- Open the link provided: https://github.com/krlaframboise/SmartThings/blob/master/devicetypes/krlaframboise/aeotec-trisensor.src/…
- Copy the full code from Line 1 (‘/**‘ down to the end (Line 808 ‘}‘)
- Then open a browser tab for account.smartthings.com.
- Once there, login and select ‘My Device Handlers‘.
- At the top right, click the [+ Create New Device Handler] button.
- Under the Create New Device Handler page, you will see a text window with three tabs: From Template, From Code, and From Example. Select the ‘From Code‘ tab.
- Now paste the selected code from Step #5 (Github code for TriSensor) into the text window. Then select Create at the bottom of the text window.
- At the top right you should also see Save, Publish, IDE Settings, Device Type Settings and Simulator. Select Publish, then the drop-down “For Me.”
- You will go back to the My Devices page. Find your Aeotec TriSensor in the list. Click on the highlighted link.
- You will then be shown the Aeotec TriSensor settings. Under the Type Field (Z-Wave Motion/Temp/Light Sensor is default), drop down and select the “Aeotec TriSensor.”
- Press Save.
- In the SmartThings App, go to your Aeotec TriSensor device settings in the top right hand (3-dots). Select Settings.
- You can now change the Aeotec TriSensor Settings. We recommend the following Aeotec TriSensor settings to get the most out of your TriSensor:
- You can now change the Aeotec TriSensor Motion Retrigger time. The default is 15 seconds. change the Motion Retrigger time to 1 second and press OK.
- You can then set the Aeotec TriSensor Motion Clear Time. Select 1 second, and press ok.
- The Motion Sensitivity: Unselect Most Sensitive, press ok.
- Motion LED: Unselect Enabled, press ok.
- Motion LED Color: Select the color of your choice when the Aeotec TriSensor senses motion.
- You can continue down the setting to change the Light and Temperature settings and accuracy.
You can now use the Aeotec TriSensor in your SmartThings ecoystem. It can be used to help track temperature and trigger your HVAC system to respond. The Aeotec TriSensor could also provide light readings in your home to brighten up the room if you camera needs more light when it senses motion. There are so many applications. You can watch how Brian uses his Aeotec TriSensor here in this video.
Featured Image Credit: Aeotec