Summary: You’re going to need a Bluetooth bridge or a Bluetooth, a Sonos Beam, or an Apple TV with AirPlay 2 to connect the Sonos Speaker to your Samsung TV set.
We have been getting questions asking how to connect your Sonos Speakers to a Samsung TV. With TVs getting powerful audio and video, it makes sense that we can connect them with fantastic home entertainment speakers.
Why can’t we do this with the Sonos speakers on the Samsung TV? We’re going to answer some of those questions here in this article. I did some research into this; however, please note that this information can change at any time.
How to Connect a Samsung TV to Your Speakers
Sonos speakers either come as a Bluetooth-enabled speaker or WiFi-enabled speaker.
For example, the IKEA SYMFONISK Bookshelf speaker is actually a Sonos Speaker. The SYMFONISK bookshelf speaker is only a WiFi speaker. Not a Bluetooth speaker.
If you want to know how to factory reset the IKEA SYMFONISK Bookshelf Speaker, I have written about it in this article. Check it out!
Not many streaming devices allow you to play audio from a TV directly to a smart speaker unless it’s a Bluetooth speaker and the TV has Bluetooth capability.
There are three quick ways to connect your Samsung TV to your smart speakers:
You have to check to see if your Samsung TV has Bluetooth capability. Many of the new Samsung TVs made in 2019 and 2020 can connect their audio outputs to a Bluetooth speaker.
This means the TV must have Bluetooth, and the smart speaker you want to connect it to must be a Bluetooth speaker.
For example, the Ikea SYMFONISK Bookshelf speaker, a Sonos speaker, does not have Bluetooth capability. It is solely a WiFi speaker, and you will not be able to connect the Samsung TV to the IKEA SYMFONISK Bookshelf speaker.
You can use a device like the Taotronics Bluetooth 5.0 transmitter to connect a Samsung TV to a speaker system.
The Bluetooth Transmitter can either receive or transfer or send signals. This transmitter comes with a 3.5 mm adapter that can plug the headphone jack into your TV. This doesn’t always work, but you can use it for things like your surround system in your car, or your gaming systems (Switch, Xbox) to transfer audio to a Bluetooth speaker.
Again you must have a Bluetooth-enabled speaker, NOT a WiFi-enabled speaker. Otherwise, you will not be able to connect your TV to a WiFi Sonos Speaker.
The Sonos Beam is a smart soundbar that connects directly to your TV.
Once you connect a Sonos Beam to your TV, you can group the Sonos Beam to other Sonos speakers and create your own home entertainment system.
So, far this is the only way that we know to connect Sonos WiFi speakers to a TV so that you can use Sonos speakers as a TV audio speaker.
Apple TV with AirPlay 2
Sonos speakers work really well with Apple TV that has AirPlay2.
As soon as you connect your Sonos speaker to your Sonos app, you will be able to access those connected speakers whether it’s a group or not to the Apple TV.
This means that if you link your Samsung TV to an Apple TV, you’ll be able to stream from the Apple TV to your Sonos speakers. (but it only works if you have the Apple TV, duh?)
Some will say that you can connect a speaker to your Samsung TV if it has AirPlay2. However, what they tell you is that your TV becomes an AirPlay2-enabled device that can connect with other Homekit media devices.
This means that you can cast from your Apple HomeKit-enabled devices to your Samsung TV, not the other way around. You can cast your photos and some of the streaming you have on your Apple HomeKit device (like iPhone, Macbook, iPad, etc.) to your Samsung TV with AirPlay2.
Samsung TVs with AirPlay:
- 2020 QLED 8K series: Q950TS, Q900TS, and Q800T
- 2020 QLED 4K series: Q90T, Q80T, Q70T, and Q60T
- 2020 Crystal UHD series: RU9000, TU8500, TU8000, and TU7000
- 2020 Lifestyle series: The Frame (LS03T), The Sero (LS05T), The Serif ( LS01T), and The Terrace (LST7T)
- 2019 QLED 8K Q900R and 2019 Serif TV
- 2019 QLED 4K Q90R, Q80R, Q70R, Q7DR, Q60R, and Q6DR
- 2019 & 2018 Frame TV LS03R/LS03N
- 2019 4K UHD TV RU8000, RU800D, RU740D, RU7300, RU730D, RU7100, and RU710D
- 2018 QLED 4K Q9FN, Q8FN, Q7CN, Q7FN, Q75FN, Q6FN, and Q65FN
- 2018 4K UHD TV NU8500, NU8000, NU740D, NU7300, NU7200, NU7100, NU710D, NU6950, NU6900, NU6900B, NU6080, and NU6070
- 2018 Smart Full HDTV N5300
If the Sonos speakers are Bluetooth enabled, you should be able to use the Bluetooth connection from your Samsung TV to project the TV’s sound to the speakers.
However, if your Sonos speakers are WiFi-only (like the IKEA SYMOFONISK Bookshelf Speaker), then the only way (that I know of ) is to use a Sonos Beam.
How to Connect Sonos Speaker to Samsung TV
There’s an assumption that as long as your TV (Samsung TV) has AirPlay2, you’ll be able to connect to your Sonos speakers.
Here is the response: AirPlay 2 on your Samsung TV does not equate to connecting to your Sonos speakers. The deciding factor here is whether or not your smart speakers are actually Bluetooth or WiFi, and if a bridge is required to connect your speakers to your TV.
So, get a Bluetooth Transmitter, connect via Bluetooth, or get an Apple TV to connect your TV to Sonos speakers.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- How do I connect my Sonos speaker to my Samsung TV? You can use a wireless device like Bluetooth or the Sonos App to connect the Samsung TV to the Sonos speaker. You can also use an HDMI cable but not all Samsung TVs are HDMI-supported. So, identify your device model to know the best way to link the TV to the Sonos speaker.
- Does Sonos speaker work with Samsung Smart TV? Yes, the Sonos speaker works with Samsung Smart TV if it is Bluetooth-enabled. However, you’ll need a Sonos Beam if the speaker is Wi-Fi enabled.
- Why is my Sonos speaker not connecting to my TV? In some cases, the reason for this is maybe the internet cable isn’t plugged firmly into the router and your Sonos product. Be sure to secure the connections of your internet cable and the cable itself.
- Does a Samsung TV have Bluetooth? Yes, if your Samsung TV comes with a Smart Remote. Go to Settings and navigate to Sound or Sound Output. If there is an option for a Bluetooth speaker list, then your device is Bluetooth-enabled.
- How do I control my Samsung TV with Sonos Beam? Set up the Sonos App on your tablet, phone, or computer to control, send, and receive the audio.
Pros & Cons of Sonos Beam Soundbar
|premium sound quality|
|can be expensive|
|Google Assistant not supported|
Check out the video below for my Sonos Play 1 unboxing, setup, and review.